Friday, May 19, 2006

Carbon Neutral Prius

Over the past 4 years I have dramatically reduced my carbon footprint through changes including:

1). 100% use of compact fluorescent light bulbs.

2). Switched to electric power option which relies on 100% renewable energy (Maine Interfaith Power and Light)

3). Installed a Polaris gas water heater with a thermal efficiency of 96-97%. This heater drives my radiant floor heat and provides 100% of my domestic hot water needs.

4). Installed all energy star compliant appliances.

5). Use my velomobile for commuting and running errands.



6). Purchased a Toyota Prius.



Despite this, I really wanted to have our household become carbon neutral. So this past week I purchased the following green tags:

1). Purchased 6 tons of green tags from Native Energy as part of their CoolHome program.

2). Purchased 12 tons of green tags from Native Energy as part of their CoolDriver program.

These tags bring me close to carbon neutral.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Roni said...

Hi, can you offer details on how many bio ricks can be safely put in the tribute, and approx. how long it will burn?
Thank you! Rhonda