Friday, July 07, 2006

Exploring Ways to Beat Gas Prices

Salmon Arm Observer
Lachlan Labere
July 5, 2006

Alternatives: Fuel efficient cars great, bicycles better. times continue to drop.

Idle-free can be more than a way around the gas pump, it can be a lifestyle of cleaner, healthier motion.

Reducing idling times is but one way cost and environmentally conscious drivers can cut back on fuel use. Keeping your vehicle tuned-up, driving with as little weight as possible and consolidating trips are others ways.

For those who would rather just upgrade their old gasser, the British Columbia Automobile Association suggests keeping vehicle fuel efficiency emissions ratings in mind. These criteria were what drove Salmon Arm resident Aram Schneider to a Smart Car.

"I checked into it more and saw that it was a really low-emission vehicle. I think it was in that winter that I noticed the stats that they had, the carbon emissions were less than even the (Toyota) Prius," said Schneider of his ultra-compact, diesel-powered two-seater. "I really liked that. Although diesel does emit more particulate than regular gas, C02 deals with the green house, global warming gasses. And such a low carbon emission came from low fuel consumption."

Smart Cars and other alternative vehicles, such as the hybrid Toyota Prius, can be a significant investment. But if a roof isn't required, there are other alternatives.

For stylish motorized urban excursions, a scooter may be the ticket. Starting at about $2,500, modern scooters are cheap on gas and low on emissions. And with a high speed of 80 km/h, they are a zippy alternative to the automobile.

"Somebody commented on that today - with the cost of fuel, I think I am going to be getting a bike," said Alpine Motor Sport's Julie Ouellette, who has noted a marked rise interest around scooters. "'For back and forth to work,' we hear a lot of."

Interest in human-fueled bicycles is also on the rise.

"People come in and complain about gas prices, they start looking around and checking their feasibility," said Ridetech owner Chris Emel. "'I don't live that far from work, maybe I should get a bike.' It's definitely had an advantage."

Emel has noted a particular growing interest in bikes designed for street and light trail use, which can range in price from about $300 to $600.

"I've seen far more interest in those types of bikes this year than I have in the past," said Emel. "Bikes that are more street friendly, smoother, faster, things like that. But there's the person that will come in and say 'I am thinking of getting a bike because I want to ride it to work and because it's going to save me some money on gas, but if I am going ahead and buy a bike anyways I want to buy something that I can go out on the trails on with my friends or with my kids and have fun on.' It sort of gets them thinking about the whole biking experience."

If time is not of the essence, and wheels are not required, anywhere between $100 and $190 can plant a person into a pair of high-end walking shoes. What to look for, said Christa Kalinczuk of Wearabouts, is a light weight, ventilation, quality insoles for fit and shock absorption, and proper support. As well they should be angled slightly upwards at the front to allow a smooth heel-to-toe motion.

Quality walking shoes will help prevent foot and joint pain. And of course, they require no gas and put out zero emissions.

No comments: